LGBT Switchboard and Survivors Network are very happy to announce that we are recruiting additional volunteers for Trans Survivors Switchboard, our new helpline for trans survivors of sexual violence.
Following our research into the needs of trans survivors of sexual violence and the current service provision landscape, Survivors Network and LGBT Switchboard have launched a helpline for trans survivors of sexual violence. The helpline is based in Brighton but takes calls from the whole UK.
As a volunteer for this service, you will be providing support via a telephone/webchat/email helpline to trans individuals who have experienced sexual violence at any point in their life. You will provide emotional support, practical help and signposting advice.
In order to fulfil this role you should have or be willing to develop knowledge and skills in the following areas:
• An understanding of the trans community and the issues that affect trans people
• An understanding of sexual violence including the emotional distress and practical problems which often emerge as a result of sexual violence.
• Be able to listen and refrain from giving advice, so as to support callers by providing a listening ear and enabling them to find their own solutions using a range of strategies.
• Be non-judgemental and able to suspend one’s own judgement so that every caller is listened to and respected regardless of one’s own beliefs, values etc that may be different from the caller’s.
• Be committed to developing your knowledge base of local and national support agencies and resources.
• Be able to make use of a wide range of resources, both paper and Internet based.
• Have an understanding of the need to maintain professional boundaries with all service users, and be able to maintain professional boundaries at all times.
• Be willing to attend other in-house training events in order to gain knowledge and sustain and develop good practice.
• Be willing and able to work within the organisation’s policies and procedures.
New volunteers will need to be able to commit to the following:
- The following training days in October:
Thurs 5th Oct from 6-9pm
Sun 8th Oct from 10-3pm
Thurs 12th Oct from 6-9pm
Saturday 21st October 10-4
- Two shifts per month which take place on a Sunday either from 1-3 pm or 3-5 pm
- Operations meeting and supervision the first Monday of every other month from 5:15-6:46.
Following the training, volunteers will shadow helpline shifts prior to taking calls themselves.
The closing date for applications is 21st of August 2017. Interviews will take place in September, dates and timings can be arranged flexibly.
Access Information: Unfortunately, due to the Survivors Network building having steep stairs and no lift, we are not currently able to accept volunteers who require lift access. If you would like to volunteer but have lift access requirements, please do still apply and make a note of this, as we will endeavour to address this in the future. If you have any other access needs which you’d like to discuss with us, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org